Monday, August 17, 2015

Word of the Week - 76

Joffre Lakes in British Columbia.
Word of the Week:  ELSEWHERE

With the exception of what tv meteorologists have come to call "monsoonal flow" here in Southern California and the general slime it creates on the skin, so far our summer hasn't been unbearable.  Until the past several days.  As I write this, our outside temperature is around 102.  My wits left hours ago.

I learned about the Joffre Lakes a few days ago when my son's friend, a Vancouver resident for just a year, sent him her photos and description of the hike to reach them.  I've never  seen bodiea of water that color.  While I shiver in the winter when we are  a mild 59 degrees, I no longer have any tolerance for heat.  Our living room air conditioning unit, which I bless with all my heart, does its best.  Southern California Edison calls me often with its "budget assistance alerts," telling me how far beyond my ideal bill I've surged.  Images of elsewhere become refuge.

What a remarkable planet we inhabit.  That a place as stunning as the Joffre Lakes isn't one of the seven wonders of the natural world speaks of our abundance.  While pondering the list, I may take mental holidays to Victoria Falls, Mt. Everest and the Great Barrier Reef.   On days such as we've just experienced, my childhood wading pool would be every bit as enticing.

12 comments:

Kass said...

Such a beautiful blue! Hope your mental holidays provide some relief from the heat.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Kass - Thank you. Isn't it an almost-other-worldly blue, more tropical than one would expect? Cooler this morning, thank you, but I will continue to think of glacier-fed lakes and ice planets in galaxies far, far away. xo

Elizabeth said...

I'm with you. And that blue -- how can anyone not claim it their favorite color?

Marylinn Kelly said...

Elizabeth - The notion of Never-Neverland is not without appeal. In the meantime, that such a color exists may be enough. xo

Elsewhere said...

I just have to comment... don't I?

Marylinn Kelly said...

Hello, Elsewhere! - Of course you have to comment. I'd be happy to know who you are (no blogger profile that I found, but the day is young.) Thank you for being our Word of the Week and for stopping by. xo

Elsewhere said...

Hi, I don't blog, so can't help you there. Maybe this helps: Dutch, female, into mindfulness and compassion training, touch of the willies, no stranger to black dogs, aka The Rabbit Lady.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Elsewhere - A touch of the willies, my version of which takes the form of, oh, a little anxiety, caution, a bit of the jitters, that willies? If so, I know it well. Also an on-going student of mindfulness, kindness and, to the best of my ability, being in the moment. And black dogs or actual canine black dogs? My interpretive skills sometimes need a warm-up. What a fine, succinct description. Rabbit icon club. xo

Elsewhere said...

Yup, willies as in anxious, black dogs as in Churchills...
Now I need to ask: what's the rabbit icon club?

Marylinn Kelly said...

Elsewhere - You have a rabbit icon (profile pic) and I have a rabbit icon. It seemed additional common ground. Not too many of us, that I know of. xo

Elsewhere said...

Ah, now I get it! I love yours btw.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Elsewhere - Thank you. One of my rubber stamps. xo