Wednesday, July 10, 2013

One step forward, one step sideways - And Gloria's friends think festively

It would serve me as well to get up in the morning and just tie the laces of both shoes together, knot them up good, as it does to get up thinking only and entirely about my legs, how they feel, how they work, how well I may or may not be able to lift them and, oh, that it is really humid and I think all my joints are swollen.

How to be the loving parent and not the punishing, arm-yanking, belittling kind (ugh) when the mind acts like an out-of-control child.  Let us leave it at this:  I have a lot more to learn than how to move my body differently.  Complete transformation, head first.  What good fortune to have a wise, patient and humor-inspired teacher.  Some days are diamonds, some days are not quite diamonds.  xo

--------------------

Before parting ways after their meeting at the tea shop, Mr. Guscott and Mr. Apotienne had exchanged phone numbers, anticipating conversations to come.  It was not until they left the shop that the sudden shift of weather became obvious.  Mr. Guscott was quartered a bit inland from the Cove, finding the the heat and the fields and their crops sources of comfort.  Mr. Apotienne had an open-ended rental on a shore-front cottage that seemed to attract the wind, the fog, the rain when it came, and he found some of the window latches painted shut, so long had it been since anyone had thought to throw them open to a balmy afternoon.

When Mr. Apotienne, on his fact-finding and weight-maintaining walk, heard the rumor of a sale on Hawaiian shirts, he tried and located Mr. Guscott in his suite and suggested they track down the seller as The Reading Man wished to add something festive and a lot cooler to his wardrobe if there were to be outdoor movies and who-knew-what.  The excitement had already taken on a fork-in-the-socket buzz that suggested a collective twitch among inhabitants and visitors to the region.  The men agreed to meet in an hour, by which time they hoped to know just where to find some island finery.

6 comments:

Lisa H said...

"..How to be the loving parent and not the punishing, arm-yanking, belittling kind (ugh) when the mind acts like an out-of-control child. "

Oh, I'm going to post this sentence next to my bedside. ANOTHER pearl of MLK wisdom and SO well written.

...and may I add that I can't WAIT to see the guys in their new shirts??!!!

Marylinn Kelly said...

Lisa - Thank you, my friend. It is such a challenge when the mind acts up not to give it a sound thumping but to invite it gently into the process, turn it from foe into collaborator. No wonder there is fatigue at the end of the day. Like trying to stage a Broadway show with an amateur cast. Sheesh. I can't wait to see what they have to choose from, what they pick and whatever comes after that. I think of them as geezerish in the best sense, character, humor, and lookin' good in vintage aloha shirts. xo

Erin in Morro Bay said...

I know just the place in Billington Cove, the antique mall always has a wooden rack of deliciously vintage Hawaiian shirts from the '50's. Even when not buying it's a delight to finger through them and revel in the colours and designs.
Erin

Lisa H said...

.....Erin, I think I was there! I bought the little collie with Star Lake on the front.....

Marylinn Kelly said...

Erin - Blessed as you are to live in The Cove, of course you know where to find the rack of vintage Hawaiian shirts. I never even thought to doubt it. They are indeed art. xo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Lisa - Lucky you. xo