Sunday, August 19, 2012

Now I think I know what I'm doing here

If the forgotten anniversary had involved another actual being, well, it could have gotten ugly.  As the partnership is with my blog which is (a) probably not self-aware and (b) forgiving, I can dope-slap my own back-of-the-head and move along.  On August 4, it was four years since the first post.  I am scowlingly harsh with myself for lack of consistency on all fronts.  Yet here I still am.

Magic, as I interpret its manifestations, calls to me more insistently all the time.  Of course that is slight exaggeration for one of magic's shiny attributes is its quiet voice.   Magic gets our attention with the sentence we can't quite hear.  We become more attentive and hope it speaks again.  When I see its face, I share it here.  If I witness magic at work, I am all a'tremor until I can tell the story.  Looking back, I suspect it was magic that kept elbowing me to start a blog.  Clever sprite, it spoke through my friend Lisa.  I wasn't sure why I was doing such a thing; I had no idea what I'd say.

So four years pass.  In the last two days what I'm doing here has become clearer, with the photos of the children, the example of ceramic art that feels like kin or part of me.  This is not at odds with what I've done all along; I am more aware that it is an official assignment and not volunteer dilly-dallying.  I am sure magic knows how far from our true natures we have wandered.  It misses us and wants us back.  It signals to us constantly, regularly.  No one could overlook the awe of a summer meteor shower but a kissing monkey named Crystal (perhaps a story for another day) might be misleading.  In newspaper language, I wonder what this beat would be called, though it doesn't matter.  This has always been my real job.  I'm going to need new business cards.

8 comments:

Melissa Green said...

Yes, ma'am, it is time to dust of fthe Press Pass and your Mont Blanc filled with glitter!

You've been reporting on magic and mystery all along, Marylinn, you may not have always let yourself know it. But we knew it. You are still here, seeking, curious, convinced, sometimes baffled--but always wooing the world to divulge its secrets, for the univese to declare its intentions because your heart knows the mystical things it is holding for us, if only we would look.

You know the world is full of inexplicable and beautiful things and keep prodding it to uncover its enchantments. But you are spellbound. And recognize marvels when you see them. In four years you have shown us you are a sorcerer with words. And you have shown us magic,

Marylinn Kelly said...

Melissa - Thank you so much. I am fortunate in what speaks to me and in those of you who read here, members of the band who share a particular way of seeing. What a lovely, generous comment. xo

Penelope said...

Magic misses us and wants us back . . . I love the personification, the wooing. Thanks, Marylinn.

susan t. landry said...

four years of magic...wow...lovely...and may you give us forty more, my wise friend.

Marylinn Kelly said...

Penelope - Thank you. Can't you imagine a personified magic wondering where all its playmates went? The on-going task of getting out of our own way. xo

Marylinn Kelly said...

Susan - Thank you. Being able to keep doing this, especially now that THIS is more clearly identified, would be a great gift. xo

Erin in Morro Bay said...

Lisa is responsible for many of us starting our blogs! It's been a delightful 4 years, here's to many more.
Erin

Marylinn Kelly said...

Erin - Thank you. Yes, Lisa, Michelle and the pointy stick. A delight for me as well. xo